Based in the beautiful Bay of Kyparissia in the western Peloponnese, you will be involved with conserving and protecting one of the most important loggerhead turtle nesting areas in Greece.
You will be involved in surveying the nesting activity of female turtles, this will happen daily, as the turtles come out to nest during the night. Once a nest has been located you will have the task of protecting it from predation and flooding by the rising ocean tides. From these activities, volunteers will be able to provide vital conservation information in workshops to international visitors and the local community members.
We work with our partner in spain to ensure you receive all the necessary training to meet the project’s objectives as well as providing opportunities for you to explore the fascinating Greek culture and sights of the surrounding area in your free time.
The program focuses on:
- Patrolling the beach to locate new tracks and nest
- Recording data and measurements
- Installing protective nest grids
- Nest relocation (if required)
- Nest excavation (from August onwards)
- Bamboo harvesting – assembling nest grids
- Manning beach kiosk – educating public about the project
- Public awareness presentations – conducted at campsites/hotels in the local area