AFS is committed helping young people to go abroad regardless of their financial situation. That’s why AFS works with corporate and community sponsors and individual donors to help finance AFS programs through full and partial scholarships.
Kennedy-Lugar Youth Exchange and Study (YES) Program
Kennedy-Lugar Youth Exchange and Study (YES) Program is a full scholarship program funded by the U.S. Department of State, awarded to Indonesian High School students, with an aim to bridge mutual understanding between countries with significant Muslim population and American people. The YES Program was established in 2003, and has sent more than 1000 Indonesian students. Since 2009, American high school students also got the same opportunity.
The YES Program gives the opportunity to active and accomplished students, with significant achievements, both academic and non-academic, and coming from families with economic limitations. This program encourages students with disability to apply (blind/visually impaired, deaf, mute, and physically disabled), as well as students from areas outside of our 20 Chapters and areas outside of Java.
The YES Program gives you an opportunity to develop your personal skills, as well as your leadership skill. This program also gives you an opportunity to be an ambassador of peace and friendship between Indonesia and the US, by bridging mutual understanding between American and Indonesian communities, and acknowledging each other’s life and culture.
During the program, you will go to American high school and live with American family with various backgrounds, spread through all states in the US. You will experience and learn about life in the US and getting a chance to interact directly with your community through enrichment activities arranged by the program.
Each year Bina Antarbudaya sends selected students who are eligible, regardless of their religious, racial, and ethnical background, to be the young Indonesian ambassador in this program.
- First grade and second grade in High School (SMA/ SMK/ MA)
- For 2021 – 2022 Year Program, born between 01 January 2004 – 01 August 2005
- Minimum average grade in academic report: 80 for all subjects
- Active and accomplished, with achievements in both academic and non-academic fields, in the past 5 (five) years
- Achievements and accomplishments in academic and non-academic field at least in city/township level
- OSIS and/or MPK main board (Chairman, Vice Chairman, Secretary, Treasurer).
- Agreements and consent from natural parents.
- Agreement and consent from school.
- Citizen of Indonesia, proven by birth certificate.
- Reside in and still enrolled in a school in Indonesia at the time of application, and will still be enrolled in Indonesian school after the program.
- Does not hold American passport, was not born in the US, and one or both parents are not American citizen(s).
- Physically and mentally fit for the program (YES Program encourages students with disability to apply).
- Participate in selection stages conducted by Bina Antarbudaya. Only selected candidates will be invited to the National Selection Camp in Jakarta.
- Registration will only be conducted through Online Registration accessible through a link in afsindonesia.org
What has to be prepared by program finalists (not included in the Scholarship):
- Medical examinations, including but not limited to TB tests.
- Immunizations and vaccinations that are mandatory (including, but not limited to Polio, DTaP, MMR, Varicella, Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B, and Meningitis).
- Pre-existing medical conditions and allergies, dental care, and eye care.
- Excess or overweight baggage cost.
- Personal expenses and trips during program.